If you are unable to find an answer to your question, please click here to send us an email via our Contact Form.

MUD Administration

Pursuant to the Texas Open Meetings Act, all Board meetings are open to the public. Announcements of when and where Board meetings take place are posted publicly, within the District and on the District’s website. For FBMUD 47, we post all meeting announcements at the tennis courts in the Vicksburg subdivision near the gazebo and at the lift station at 18952 ½ Vicksburg Blvd.

Chapter 54, Texas Water Code, requires MUD Directors to be at least 18 years of age, a resident of Texas, and either a qualified voter in the district or an owner of taxable land within the district. Certain persons are disqualified from serving as a district director. A developer of property in the district is disqualified.  Certain relatives, employees, consultants, and parties to specified contracts also may not serve on the Board. A district is subject to Chapter 171, Texas Local Government Code, which regulates conflicts of interest on the board.

MUD Directors are elected via the procedures outlined in the Texas Election Code.  Voters elect all Directors for four-year, staggered terms.  Vacancies on the Board that occur between election years are filled by the Board by appointment.

Fort Bend Municipal Utility District 47 (FBMUD 47) is governed by a Board of Directors. There are five Director positions. A variety of state constitutional, statutory, and regulatory provisions control the operation of utility districts in Texas. The Board contracts with qualified consultants to provide counsel, input and services necessary for the operation of the District.

A Municipal Utility District (MUD) is a local governmental entity that provides services to its customers and residents. MUDs are created by the Texas Legislature or Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ). MUDs are the primary tool used in Texas to finance and construct utilities for new development. A MUD may provide a broad range of services and improvements relating to water supply and conservation, drainage, public safety, solid waste collection and disposal, wastewater treatment, firefighting, roads and recreational activities. A MUD promotes the development of raw land, typically into urban or suburban residential communities, by providing infrastructure and services for the property within its boundaries.

Reporting Problems

Call the MUD’s Operator, Municipal District Services, (MDS) at 281-290-6503.

Call the MUD’s Operator, Municipal District Services, (MDS) at 281-290-6503.

Call the MUD’s Operator, Municipal District Services, (MDS) at 281-290-6503.

Call the MUD’s Operator, Municipal District Services, (MDS) at 281-290-6503.

Garbage service in FBMUD 47 is managed by Missouri City who has a contract with WCA/GFL Environmental. Any issues with garbage service should be referred to WCA/GFL Environmental at (281) 403-5800.



FBMUD 47 has established exemptions for those who are disabled or 65 and older as indicated in the link below. Once you are about to turn 65 or if you become disabled, please contact the FBCAD and fill out the appropriate forms. You will be required to provide proof of age and/or disability, but the exemption(s) will automatically appear on your tax bill thereafter.

Optional Exemptions Granted

Fort Bend Central Appraisal District – Forms

Residence Homestead Exemption Application – Form 50-114

While the MUD sets the MUD tax rate, a homeowner’s total tax owed is based upon the appraised value of the house or property. This appraised value is determined by the Fort Bend Central Appraisal District (FBCAD). Homeowners can file a protest with the FBCAD if they disagree with the appraised value of their property.



The current tax rate and a record of four preceding years can be found via the link below. The tax rate consists of two components. One component is calculated to cover expected operation and maintenance costs and the other is calculated to cover debt service. These two components combined make the total tax rate.



In the Fall of each year, after careful consideration of the MUD’s financial obligations, the MUD Board adopts a tax rate for the current year. Separate rates are calculated for debt service and operation and maintenance obligations. Upon deciding the proposed tax rate, a Notice of Public Hearing on the tax rate must be published a week in advance of the date for which the Board intends to formally set such tax rate.

MUD taxes are the primary source of revenue by which the expenses for maintenance and operation of the water, sewer, and storm drainage of the MUD are paid. Bond obligations are also paid via MUD taxes.

Water, Sewer, & Storm Drainage

Residential Security Deposits are based on meter size. Deposits for residential customers are as follows:

Meter Size Deposit
¾” – ⅝” $150.00
1” and larger $200.00


You can sign up for Priority Messaging by texting FB47 to 484848 or following the link below.


Click on “Sign Up for Priority Messaging” in the top, right corner.

FBMUD 47 maintains the walking trails within the boundaries of the MUD. https://www.fbmud47.org/contact

No. FBMUD 47 does not maintain the streets or sidewalks. Missouri City is responsible for maintenance of streets and sidewalks.


Street ponding of short duration is anticipated and designed to contribute to the overall drainage capability of the system. The goal of all drainage systems is the prevention of structure flooding during a 100-year storm event. Our streets are an important part of our flood control system. During normal rain events, the rainwater is drained via the storm drainage inlets seen at various locations along the curbs on our streets, through the storm sewer system and into the drainage ditches that surround the MUD.

During heavy rains, the streets will temporarily fill up with water, like a holding pond, whenever the rainfall event exceeds the drainage capacity of the storm sewer system. This “ponding” in the streets prevents the rainwater from reaching and entering your house. As soon as the rainfall rate decreases or stops, the storm waters will be drained via the storm drains and the ponding in the streets will subside.

For this reason, it is important that nothing but rainwater be put through/down the storm drains. Grass, yard debris, tree debris, and other garbage should be picked up or collected and disposed of in appropriate bags/receptacles for transport to the sanitary landfill. Allowing this debris to enter the storm drainage inlets could cause blockages in the storm drainage system that could potentially result in the rain water exceeding the “ponding” capacity of our streets and thus entering our homes.

Sewer backups/blockages may be due to a blockage in the main sewer line or a blockage in the homeowner’s line. If Municipal District Services (MDS), the MUD’s Operator, determines that the blockage is on the MUD’s side in the main line, then the MUD will rectify the problem. If MDS determines that the blockage is in the homeowner’s line, then the homeowner will need to contact a plumber to rectify the issue. Certain repairs to sewer lines and water lines require inspection by the MDS. Please contact them at (281) 290-6503.

To help prevent sewer blockages see the resources on the following link:


Repair of any water leaks occurring on the homeowner’s side of the water connection (from the water meter up to and inside the house) is the responsibility of the homeowner.

Yes. By application for connection to the District’s system, the Customer shall be deemed to be granting to the District and its representatives a right of ingress and egress to and from the meter or point of service for such installation, maintenance, and repair as the District, in its judgment, may deem reasonably necessary.

The Customer shall also be deemed to be granting to the District and its representatives a right to ingress and egress to the Customer’s property, including the interior and exterior of the Customer’s premises, for the purpose of performing the inspections and completing the Customer Service Inspection Certifications required by the District’s Rules and Regulations (see “Rate Order”).

Deposits are refunded when water service is discontinued. Following payment of the final bill and payment of all fees and charges, the balance of the security deposit, if any, will be refunded by check. It is important, for this purpose, to leave a forwarding address when discontinuing your service.


Service will be restored once payment is received and any late fees, additional deposit, and disconnection fees have been paid.

The District Rate Order states that if payment is not received on or before the Due Date, a late charge of ten percent (10%) will be assessed on the unpaid balance on the water and sewer bill.

Yes. There is a way to pay your bill via automatic draft so you don’t have to worry about your bill getting lost in the mail.


GRP stands for Groundwater Reduction Plan. In 1989, the State created the Fort Bend Subsidence District (FBSD) to reduce subsidence by regulating the use of groundwater (i.e. wells) and converting to the use of surface water. Subsidence is the gradual caving in or sinking of an area of land that contributes to flooding and can lead to infrastructure damages. To meet its stated goals, the FBSD adopted a GRP which is applicable to entities within the FBSD’s jurisdiction, including FBMUD 47. The costs associated with building and maintaining the surface water infrastructure are passed on to customers. Your GRP fee is charged per 1,000 gallons of water used, as reflected on the front of the statement.

To learn more about the FBSD, visit https://fbsubsidence.org.

Understanding Your Water Bill (PDF)

For Billing Questions call: 281-290-6507

Need a payment arrangement? Email: info@mdswater.com.

Payment is due on the 18th of every month.

Call 281-290-6503 or report a problem at: https://www.mdswater.com/report-a-problem

There is a minimum charge for water service up to 5,000 gallons. Usage above 5,000 gallons is charged per 1,000 gallons used. See chart for details and District Rate Order for full description.

Type of Connection Gallons Used Rate
Residential 0-5,000 gallons $14.00 (minimum charge)
5,001 – 10,000 gallons $1.25 per 1,000 gallons used
10,001 – 15,000 gallons $1.50 per 1,000 gallons used
15,001 – 20,000 gallons $1.75 per 1,000 gallons used
20,001 gallons and above $2.00 per 1,000 gallons

During normal operation, natural mineral sediment like iron collects in the water lines. When events occur such as line repairs or flushing of water lines to remove this sediment, your tap water may be temporarily affected. The water is still safe. To clear the lines, open the taps in your house and let them run until the water is clear again. It is best to avoid doing laundry if the water appears yellowish but if you do and fabrics become discolored, a product called “Rust Out” may be helpful in removing discoloration. Please contact Municipal District Services (MDS) to report any water quality issues at (281) 290-6503.

Yes. The District’s water is tested on a daily basis and meets or exceeds all standards set by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Additionally, the District publishes an annual Drinking Water Quality Report, you can review by clicking here.

No.  Municipal District Services is not the “City”.  Municipal District Services (MDS) is a company contracted by the MUD for maintenance and operation of the district’s public water, sewer, and storm drainage systems.  MDS also provides the billing services for water and sewer within the district.


No.  The large water and sewer “trunk” lines that run along Highway 6 and  Vicksburg Boulevard are owned and maintained by Missouri City, however, the water and sewer lines that run along the residential streets in our neighborhoods are maintained by the MUD.